Sunday, December 21, 2014

Wow, it's already Christmas???

Are you kidding me?  It seems like yesterday that I was writing a recap of 2013 and basking in the pleasure of my successes throughout that year.  It seems like yesterday that I was giddy with excitement for my acceptance into the 2014 New York City Marathon and the upcoming college baseball season.  Now, it's late December and I'm wondering how exactly this year disappeared.  This has definitely been a roller-coaster of a year with all sorts of new experiences.

Before looking forward to 2015, I think it is important to look back at the current year.  What did I do right and wrong, and what can I do better in the coming year.  First failures and then successes.  Failures are always tougher to admit than the successes, so let's get those out of the way.

My first failure was putting all of my eggs in one basket.  During 2013, I set multiple goals and chasing each of those contributed to the success of all of them.  In 2014, I had a single goal, breaking the 3:00.00 marathon barrier and that was my sole focus.  My 'one basket' was the New York City Marathon in November and while I feel I was prepared to chase that 3:00.00 barrier, the conditions that day didn't allow for it.  The learning point here is that chasing multiple running related goals will make me better, or better prepared for all distances.

My second failure was that I stopped chasing knowledge.  There was a bit of complacency that set in after I qualified for Boston in 2013 and I stopped reading about how I could get better and stopped learning.  When I started running, I chased every bit of information that I could get my hands on.  Whether it be reading books, websites and magazines, or talking with fellow runners and co-workers.  I think I've already rectified this problem.  I have 3 books lined up and ready to read that I hope will give me the knowledge necessary to continue to grow as a runner, athlete and person.  While I no longer have a 12-time (or is it 13?) Ironman sitting beside me at work, I know that he's an email or phone call away and that I need to be a bit more resourceful for those personal interactions with more experienced athletes.

My third failure was that I just simply ran during 2014.  During 2013, I was committed to 'doing more' than just running.  I swam 3 or 4 days a week for 30-40 minutes at a time.  I rode my bike, even though in the trainer in my living room, more miles that I ever had.  I did yoga from time to time and I was committed to my Trademarked (not so much) 'Commercial Break Workout'.  I must get back to more 'cross-training'.  Having better full body strength and fitness is extremely important for me to push myself as far and as hard as my mind believes that I can go.

Now, let's talk about successes.  This is the short section of the post.  One real success times 3.  During 2013 I didn't even attempt a half marathon.  During 2014, I ran 3 of them.  Each one producing a new personal best.  I've always said I wanted to get myself into good enough shape that I could go out and race a half-marathon on a moment's notice.  Well, in April I put that to the test in Columbus, MS.  Fortunately I knew a couple of weeks prior that I was going to race, but I wasn't exactly in 'racing shape'.  I posted a new PR that day by 2 minutes to get my half PR to 1:34.44.  I went out way too fast and had to listen to Emily Rollins give me grief afterward.  I deserved every bit of it.

The 2nd PR was at the Middle Half in Murfreesboro.  This race came during the last high-mileage week of marathon training for New York.  I had already run 55 miles for the week going into the race and still came out with an almost 3 minute PR, 1:31.54.  Really made me wonder just how fast I could go if focused on training for a half.  

The last PR came earlier this month at the inaugural Mt. Juliet Half.  Well rested, but not well trained, I went 1:31.19, shaving off more than 30 seconds.  My goal for that day was to simply have a consistent race.  After two miles of ridiculous hills at miles 3 and 4, I settled in and had my most consistent race performance yet.  A very nice way to close the year.


So, what's in store for 2015?  Over the next few days, I'll be writing down my goals for the coming year.  Having that commitment in writing is very powerful for me.  Knowing that someone else has read (or thinking someone else has read) what I plan to do really commits me to doing it.  Once I put the goals to paper, or the internets, I'll come up with a racing plan that best prepares me for another year of successes.

In the meantime, I've got some shopping to do!  Geez, how did this come up on me so quickly???  Merry Christmas peoples!  I hope that you only get coal if you asked for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment