Monday, January 26, 2015

Chili Peppers....on 'repeat'

12 weeks from today.  Wow!  How'd that happen so quickly?  It seem like only yesterday that I was celebrating the fact my entry was accepted into Boston.  That my qualifying time was good enough to gain that entry.  And now.......well now, it's time to go to work.

While many people I know have already started their training for Boston, I chose a shorter, more intense training option; 12 Weeks of Hell.  A couple of months ago, when I started planning this, it seemed like a good idea.  Today, I'm not so sure.  Fortunately I didn't rest on my fitness back then and kept running a decent amount of miles each week.  However, I didn't run fast very often and that has become an area of concern.  While on a casual long'ish run this weekend, I was asked about my upcoming training.  Before I could respond, Jenifer chimes in with "Run fast, all the time".  Yep, that pretty much sums it up.  So, it is only appropriate that this 12 week training plan start with a super-fast (for me) track workout.

The past 10 days or so have been pretty good in terms of running and mileage with a disappointing race performance sandwiched in there.  On Sunday, 1/18, I ran the Naples Daily News Half Marathon.  The goal for the race was to get as close as possible to 1:30.  It was not to be on this day.  66 degrees and 90% humidity for a 7:00 a.m. start.  I started out right in front of the 1:30 pacer, hoping that he was going to run consistent miles the entire way and that if I could stay right in front of him, I'd be good on my goal.  6:44 first mile and he's on my heels.  6:49 second mile and he's past me.  6:50 third mile and he's pulling away.  This guy is banking time and no way am I going to try to keep up with him and implode because of him.  I'm pretty good at implosions of my own.  And that I did.  Half way there and I'm on pace for a solid 1:30.  Two miles later, I think this is a great morning for a casual stroll.  Oh look, there's a Priest spraying everyone with holy water.  Ok, this is a first.  Never seen this one during a race.  Why doesn't this guy just have a sprinkler system of that stuff going off so that it's cooling as well???  I finish with a 1:34.  Not my best day by any means, but a couple of good things came out of this.  I was able to race without Plantar Fasciitis pain and I got to feel the adrenaline of the start line.

Oh yeah, this happened just behind me at this race.  While having snacks in the park after finishing I heard the announcer telling people that medical personnel were on the way.  Thankful that this gentleman is alive and well.

http://t.co/xH5EVacOIE


(Complete Tangent - Rant)
Seriously......IF you are going to be that person that wears the Vibrams (slap, slap, slap, slap), you CANNOT be the person that also wears speakers so that everyone else can hear your music.  PLEASE STOP!!!!  The guy that told you he hadn't heard the Red Hot Chili Peppers in a long time was not asking you to put it on repeat.  He was goofing on you!!!  You have essentially ruined 'Dani California' for me!  Damn You!!!!  HAHAHA!!!

Ok, enough of my ramblings.  Here's a recap of the last 10 days or so of running.........

Monday - 1/12 - 6.36 miles
Tuesday - 8.12 miles
Wednesday - 7.01 miles
Thursday - 8.05 miles
Friday - OFF DAY
Saturday - 4.02 Shake-out Run
Sunday - 1.15 mile WU, NDN Half Marathon
Monday - 1/19 - 7.08 miles
Tuesday - 7.09 miles
Wednesday - 6.45 miles (79 degrees)
Thursday - OFF DAY
Friday - Dry Needling/ART treatment
Saturday - 14.04 miles, on the ice with one fall. (28 degrees)
Sunday - 7.27 miles.

Goals
I'm about 10 miles off pace to reach 2500 miles for the year.  As Boston training starts today, I think I'll catch that up in a couple of weeks.  Nothing to be concerned about yet.

I am concerned about my 'cross-training' goal.  I did pretty well the first couple of weeks, but having been on the road a good bit, I've found it more difficult.  Need to get focused on this one.

PR goals......1 attempt, 1 failure.


No comments:

Post a Comment